What would have to happen for you to have a successful week? What would you have to accomplish that would allow you to celebrate a very worthwhile 7 day performance?
One of the biggest challenges in the Sales business today is to stay focused on the “big rocks”. The question isn’t whether you’re working hard enough… the question is whether you are working on the things that are going to result in a successful career?
Here’s a great technique for making sure that happens. Every Sunday night make a list of your top 5 for the week coming up. For example, it could look like this…
Week of April 11 – April 17
- Get up every morning Monday to Friday at 6 AM
- Start my prospecting on time at 9 AM – 11 AM – absolutely no distractions! Include my lead follow-up in that time
- Go through ALL the questions on the pre-qualification script with the Johnsons on Tuesday – be well prepared for my listing appointment with them on Thursday
- Call Barney Smith Wednesday and handle his objection about “I want to wait a couple more months”
- Take a full day off on Sunday with Joy and in the kids – do something fun
Create a form for yourself that you fill out every Sunday. Remember, they don’t all have to be business items. Make them the top 5 items that are going to contribute the most to your success overall. Here’s the acid test question when you look at your list…
“Are these 5 items more important than anything else as I continue to create a better life for myself and my family?
Now don’t hide this list in a drawer! Have it in front of you every day – all day. Periodically ask yourself this question – “Is what I’m doing right now a part of this list? Do my current activities support the big picture items that made sense on Sunday night?” NO Excuses.