EXTERNAL JUMPSTART… one of the most amazing life-saving items available these days is the Defibrillator. It is used in emergencies to treat people suffering from cardiac arrest. A Defibrillator delivers a therapeutic dose of electrical energy to the affected heart. Similar to "jumper cables" for the dead battery in a car… it provides a much-needed jumpstart. Salespeople often need a jumpstart. Here's why…
There are two fundamental pay plans in the business world:
Option #1. Commissioned Pay Plan: Offers a greater financial reward by overachieving through sales volume
Option #2. Salary Pay Plan: Offers greater financial security but less upside in your monthly income
Commissioned Sales is not for everyone. One of the appeals of Commission Sales is the opportunity for extra income. The risk is that if you don't overachieve then the "upside becomes a downside". How do you protect yourself? How do you make sure that option #1 above works in your favor?
Here is your ACTION STEP… there are two kinds of motivation. You can externally motivate yourself and you can internally motivate yourself. Today's Daily Sales Tip focuses on external motivation. Sometimes you have to bring in the Defibrillator… sometimes you need to give yourself a "jumpstart" to get going again:
DEFIBRILLATOR ITEMS (External Motivators)
1. A simple business plan for the month on your wall (set it up like a thermometer, every time you make a sale chart your progress)
2. A contest or achievement level in your office that you intend to win
3. A rigid financial plan to pay for your children's education
4. A picture of something you want (car, trip, house, a cut up credit card)
5. Daily reporting to your accountability partner with built in rewards & penalties
6. A short-term reward for you and the family because you stayed on track for the week (pizza and a movie?)
7. Two days off in a row with absolutely no work, no e-mail, and no business phone calls
The idea of using a Defibrillator to give you a boost makes a lot of sense. It is designed to give you an immediate and short-term jumpstart. This concept is especially useful when you are sensing a slowdown in your production, a change in your market, or a general lack of production on the horizon. By staying on top of your business and your results you will be able to react more quickly. The longer you let things go in the wrong direction, the larger the "electrical charge" you will need. Regardless, there's nothing wrong with external motivation. Don't hesitate to "call in the medics". The end certainly justifies the means. NO Excuses.