YOUR TWO LISTS…every day in Sales there are opportunities. Situations that come up where you can make a sale. Sometimes you create them and sometimes they just appear. Regardless, you have to decide how to deal with each and every one of these opportunities. Most of the time you have to act quickly.
The next thing that happens is you will check "your list". It's that little voice inside you that starts talking right away. Let's take another look at this concept…Actually, you have two lists!
Your Good List and your Bad List. Here's what that little voice is saying…
YOUR GOOD LIST
1. I can help these people
2. This is exactly what I'm looking for
3. Great, I was practicing handling this objection just the other day!
4. There is no reason this should not be a win/win for everyone
5. I know there's a way to make this work
YOUR BAD LIST
1. Geeez, how am I going to fit this one in?
2. I have a lot of paperwork to do today
3. Am I really skilled enough to handle this?
4. I don't want to drive all the way out there for a "maybe"
5. This guy sounds like a nutbar!
It is human nature to "check your list". The obvious question to ask yourself is… "Which list am I most likely to check?". Do I gravitate to the Good List or do I usually go to the Bad List? Do I have to "talk myself into the sale" before I even get started? Pay attention to how you react to the next few opportunities that come your way. The Salespeople who seem to get lucky all the time don't use two lists. They only consult one list… you know which one it is. Make sure YOU only use one list. NO Excuses.