THE MEDIA DIET… one of the most precious assets Salespeople possess is to maintain a strong Mindset. This is what sets you apart. Salespeople need to have a great Attitude for two reasons: #1. Your customers expect you to be at your best and #2. You need to feel good inside to do your job well. Former super-model and current business guru Kathy Ireland offers great advice. She suggests that to “Stay fit and slim mentally you have to go on a permanent Media Diet”. Kathy says that most media “Focuses on what’s not working and that 99% of the media has no real bearing on your life”. If you accept that premise then it’s easy to realize that staying away from everyday media is critical to protecting your Mindset and your Attitude.
Here is your ACTION STEP… what are some of the things Salespeople need to avoid? What Media is harmful to your mental health?
Stay away from:
1. All newspapers. It’s a dying industry anyway, take it off “life support”.
2. Most magazines do not add to your life, especially the tabloid types. Some do… see the list below.
3. All television news… it definitely focuses on “what’s not working”.
4. The stock market… there’s nothing in there that you can control.
5. 80% of all television programs are tragedy/calamity/misfortune-based.
What should be in your Media Diet? Things like:
1. Positive, informative, uplifting books… “Wooden On Leadership”, “The Compound Effect”, “The Seven Levels of Communication”, “The Magic of Believing”, “Think and Grow Rich”. Also check out 2 fun business books by Jeffrey Gitomer, “Little Red Book of Selling” and “The Sales Bible”.
2. Inspiring CD material… Jim Rohn’s “The Weekend Seminar”, Tony Robbins’ “The Ultimate Edge”, & books recorded on www.audible.com like Peter Guber’s “Tell to Win”.
3. Great magazines… short articles to give you a “quick fix”… “Success”, “O Magazine”, “Entrepreneur Magazine”, “Money Magazine”.
4. And for Dessert?… Stay away from all negative people in your life. (I know they aren’t “Media” but they should not be part of your diet anyway!)
By following the above Media Diet you can ensure that you are protecting your Mental Toughness. This is critical if you are to deal with the daily ups and downs of the Sales business. You know the cycle… rejection, exhilaration, disappointment, success, frustration, great results, etc., etc. This creates constant fluctuations in the emotions you experience. Make sure that you are only “ingesting” goodness. That will ensure that your mindset and your attitude stay super healthy! Start this diet today. NO Excuses.