GETTING YOUR POINT ACROSS… it is common knowledge that Communication Skills are a major part of being a great Salesperson. Let’s face it, it’s all about communication. “Communication is not just saying what you think. It’s about ensuring others hear what you mean.” We could argue that Sales Results are more dependent upon Communication than the strength of the product itself! So let’s look at the 3 main Components Of Communication. The experts have established that:
1. Communication is 7%…WORDS
2. Communication is 38%…TONE & DELIVERY
3. Communication is 55%…BODY LANGUAGE
The above confirms that great Communication is not so much “what you say” (that’s only 7%)… but much more “how you say it” (that’s 38% +55%= 93%!).
Here is your ACTION STEP… so how do you make sure that you are covering all three Components of Communication properly? There are some basics that must be adhered to every time:
1. Words… be sure you know what you’re going to say before you say it. Scripts and Dialogues need to be practiced. The alternative is “ramble-itis”. This turns the Customer off.
2. Tone and Delivery… this is where practice pays off. Your ability to “punctuate” your words with energy and enthusiasm is critical in the Sales game. Too much or too little is disastrous. “Pick your spots” and for effect, introduce phrases and words that create emphasis.
3. Body Language… use “visual emotion” to make your point. Because Communication is 55% visual… it is critical that the customer SEES that you are very convinced. Display your feelings. When you believe it, they will believe it.
There is a very important footnote to today’s Sales Tip. Telephone Communication does not have the aid of point #3…Body Language. We automatically lose 55% of the formula when we are not in front of the Customer! So what’s the solution?…every great telephone communicator stands up when they are on the phone. Do not use your chair when you are on the phone. It’s as simple as that. This allows you to be more compelling. Your voice inflections and your tonality are significantly more effective when you’re standing up. Don’t cheat yourself on this point! NO Excuses.