POTHOLE MANAGEMENT…one of the keys to a successful business career is to use your time efficiently. We all know people who run around like the cartoon character, the “Tasmanian Devil” and at the end of the day have very few results to show for it. Alternatively, there are some individuals who are more even keeled in their day-to-day routine. Conversely, they produce a tremendous amount in the same amount of time. This second group have mastered the art of “Pothole Management”. These are the Salespeople who take advantage of the few day times in the day where there are opportunities to “smooth out the road by filling their potholes with activities they have been putting off”.
Here is your ACTION STEP… there are many in the Tasmanian Devil group who say they “never have any potholes in their day. I’m busy from dawn till dusk!”. The fact is that everyone has “potholes”. These are the spots where you have a slight break between priorities. They usually show up as 15-20 minute segments where you could get some of those extra things done that you keep avoiding. The whole idea is to have some items close at hand that you can do immediately when a pothole appears in the road. Things like:
1. Calling some of those old leads you have been accumulating on the corner of your desk.
2. Calling those new leads that you are sitting on because you’re afraid they might tell you no.
3. Going to see some of those FSBOs that you haven’t been able to reach.
4. Throwing out those excess files and clutter that are always such a distraction.
5. Contacting a few of your Past Clients (by phone or in person) and AFR. (i.e.: asking for referrals).
If after reading the above ideas about “filling your potholes with meaningful activity” you are saying to yourself… “Bruce, this is a dumb idea, I never have any potholes in my day”… then this Daily Sales Tip is especially intended for you. Start looking for those “windows of opportunity” in your day. They are there, everyone has them. Become an Efficiency Expert for your own business. NO Excuses.