WHO SETS THE AGENDA?… recently I was reminded in a blog by author Seth Godin (“Linchpin”) that “the job of the CEO isn’t to check things off the agenda. The job of the CEO is to set the agenda, to figure out what’s next”. This is a very important truism. Sometimes we forget how the business world is changing. One thing that is changing is more and more, we are all becoming CEOs. Whether you are an Independent Contractor or an Employee… whether you are a Sole Proprietor or a “cog in a wheel”… you really are your own CEO. As a Salesperson you are definitely in the position of being your own CEO. This then begs the question, “Who is setting your agenda… you or everyone else?”.
Here is your ACTION STEP…as CEO of your own operation, it is critical that you “set the agenda”. How to do that? Here’s some examples of where you can “set your own agenda”…
1. Are your mornings under control or are the “snakes” always out of the box?
2. Do you take pride in your ability to multitask? (Trust me, this is not an asset)
3. Are you in “react mode” or do you look for new Sales opportunities daily?
4. Do your Customers respect your time? Are you afraid to “fire” bad customers?
5. CEOs follow a Business Plan… do you? Do you track your results and adjust your activity according?
A good place to start making some changes would be to follow this mantra… “My activity and my energy are centered around what I WANT instead of what everyone else expects of me.” Taking this approach is not being selfish. Taking this approach means that by looking after yourself first, you are looking after what is most important first. Everyone wins. Goodness will follow for both you and your Customers. NO Excuses.