SOCIAL MEDIA… where to start? There is so much being said about how Social Media can affect our business. There is no doubt it is here to stay. There is no doubt it can help you do more business. Conversely, there is also no doubt that if you take the wrong approach… Social Media can take up a lot of time with no results. The power of Social Media is that if used properly, it allows you to get to a huge audience very quickly and very economically. The downside is trying to figure out what to do? & How much time to spend on it? How to decide?
Here is your ACTION STEP…here are some very basic approaches that I would recommend:
1. Have your own website (the public expects this)
2. Register with Facebook, Twitter, & Linkedin
3. Spend no more than 30 to 60 minutes per day on item #2…no more!
4. Consider doing a blog periodically (share your opinion on a current topic)
5. Send monthly e-mails to your client base (video e-mails are even better!)
I realize that the above is barely "scratching the surface". Some Salespeople are considerably ahead of this approach and some are just starting out. The best advice I can give you is a great quote from Herb Kelleher, the founder of Southwest Airlines. Herb says, "the business of business is people". Just remember that selling still requires people skills, rapport building, and face-to-face interaction. That will never go away. Find a sensible balance. NO Excuses.