DECLUTTERING… recently I decided to clean out some old files that were dormant. I tossed lots of items that were no longer of any value. The files I kept were those of my existing Clients and individuals I continued to stay in touch with. This left about a 10 inch gap in my filing cabinet. In looking at the drawer, It created a curious reaction in me… all of a sudden I was nervous that I didn't have as many Clients as I thought. It was like I had thrown something away that I should have kept. My reaction was ridiculous!
I quickly realized that I still had the important ones…I was hanging on to the Clients with whom I was currently doing business. I still had plenty of business, I still had a waiting list for my services. Nothing had changed except I had gotten rid of some old files that were taking up space. What I had done was a plus–not a minus! Funny how our mind plays tricks on us sometimes, isn't it?
Here is your ACTION STEP… what "old files" are you hanging onto in your business/life that are just taking up space? What clutter do you have that is absolutely of no value that you could eliminate? Here are some ideas to start you thinking…
1. The most obvious one…Old leads that are going nowhere
2. Current leads that are not motivated
3. Critical One… people in your databa2se that you send information to but you would never pick up the phone and ask them for referrals
4. People in your personal life who are slowing you down/dragging you down (the negative ones, the ones who don't support you, the ones who don't believe you deserve to succeed)
5. Stuff in your office that you have been putting off dealing with in excess of 90 days… it's green garbage bag time!
6. Business associates who fall into the same category as #4 above
7. Your Wardrobe! What is in your closet that you should throw out?!! Get rid of that suit/shirt/blouse/dress that you haven't worn in months… set yourself free!
In closing, I would ask you to think about the following question…"Why do we hang on to things in our lives that are simply excess baggage?". Probably because it makes us feel that we have something worthwhile. On the contrary…Old Baggage is simply that. Stuff that slows us down, gets in the way, and gives us a feeling of security that is absolutely unfounded. Clean out your old files, throw stuff away that is preventing you from getting to the things in your life and your business that deserve your attention. I can promise you this… you will find it very liberating! Create some space and fill it with people and things that offer opportunity, not negativity. Get out the shovel! NO Excuses.