THE SALES TRANSMITTED DISEASE… recently a long time Coaching Client told me a story about his son’s hockey team. They had been in three tournaments already this year and had enjoyed great success (won two championships and one second place finish). A good hockey team! In the fourth tournament they won all of their round robin games. Now we get to the interesting part… in the semifinal game, they were ahead 6 – 0 at the end of the first period. Their Coach suggested they “take it easy on the competition” in the spirit of good sportsmanship for the rest of the game. The boys backed off and the final score of the game was 8 – 0. Nice gesture. Next was the final game… they were playing a team that they should have easily defeated. Trouble was by the end of the first period they were losing 3 – 0! By the time they woke up, it was too late and they lost by a final score of 4 – 2. Too bad, that didn’t work out the way it was supposed to, did it?
What happened?!! Simply put, they got Complacent. They “took their foot off the gas” and as a result, the whole team lost momentum. When you lose momentum, it takes a while to get it back. You can’t just turn it on a moment’s notice. Complacency is insidious! In Sales it can creep in very easily and “infect” your results almost immediately. I call this a Sales Transmitted Disease (STD). As the expression goes… “Nothing fails like Success”. This happens when you stop doing what made you successful.
Here is your ACTION STEP… everyone can fall prey to this “disease”. Sales is a very up-and-down business. You have to be very careful that you protect yourself from letting Complacency creep in. It is all around you and the danger is always there. Some suggestions to make sure that you do not get “infected”…
1. Start every day at zero… yesterday is in the past
2. Don’t read your own “press clippings”. Save that for December 31
3. Track your results… have a chart on your office wall indicating how many more “deals to go” to reach your monthly/annual target
4. Follow your routine…what are you supposed to be doing today? What are you supposed to be doing right now? There is nothing in your routine that said… “You are amazing! Why not practice being lazy today?”
5. Consider your BIG Priorities… who in your personal life is depending on you to perform at a high level today?
6. Think back to the last time you had insufficient commission checks coming in… do you really want that to happen ever again?
7. Taking your “foot off the gas” is another form of self sabotage… STOP IT!
8. Keep the mornings under control… don’t let the “snakes get out of the box”… ever! Stay on schedule.
Avoiding Complacency is all about mastering and overcoming the “boredom of repetition”. The skill of doing the same things, the same way, at a consistently high level is not easy… but it is tremendously rewarding! If you focus on point #1 + point #8 above you will never get “infected” again. Resolve to be your word and keep those promises you made for yourself every day. Stamp out Complacency before it gains any power over you. Stay healthy! Play your own personal hockey game” full out every day. No more Sales Transmitted Diseases. NO Excuses