THE COST OF RUMORS… recording superstar Adele brought out a song entitled "Rumor Has It". She is amazing, the song is another megahit. It tells a story revolving around a variety of rumors in an individual's life. Her song brings to mind some much more provocative rumors that showed up in the last 100 years or so. Here are two of them:
1. In 1899 Charles H. Duell who was the US Commissioner of Patents was credited with an outlandish "rumor" statement. He said… "Everything that can be invented has already been invented." His assumption was that they should close the Patent Office because it would have little else to do from now on. WOW… was he wrong!
2. In 1961 Tunis Craven who was the Chief Engineer to the US Federal Communications Commission introduced his own preposterous "rumor" statement. Mr. Craven said… "There is practically no chance that communications space satellites will be used to provide better telephone, telegraph, television or radio service inside the United States." WOW… was he wrong!
Throughout history there have been some amazing miscalculations in predicting the future. It's easy to get wrapped up in false beliefs and "rumors" that get in the way of growth and progress. Fast forward to your own Sales Business…
Here is your ACTION STEP… many rumors are based around false beliefs and intuitions. Many Salespeople are guilty of holding themselves back because of the rumors and false beliefs they are buying into. As evidenced by the above two examples, this can be a very costly mistake. What rumors are you holding on to? What false beliefs are getting in your way? Let's look at both sides of the coin:
Rumors You Should NOT Believe
1. There is a certain limit to how much I can sell
2. There are certain things others do that I am not capable of duplicating
3. I can't really do much more with the time I have available for working
Rumors You SHOULD Believe
1. There is no limit to the production I can generate in my Sales Business
2. If someone else has already done it, I can do it too
3. I can be dramatically more efficient with my time
4. Growth is good… there is so much more I can learn and achieve
5. I am capable of closing 5 to 7 times with all my customers
6. I can make my sales presentation better than any of my competition
Create your own megahit entitled "Rumor Has It". Change Adele's words to fit your personal situation. Re-energize who you are being and what is possible. Fall in love with your business and your future! Show the world that… "I am not a finished product!" What fabulous and exciting rumors can you make come true today? NO Excuses.