“DOING THE DANCE”…the business of Sales is ever evolving but as famed business philosopher Jim Rohn said, “When you get down to it, there really are no new basics”. At the same time things are always changing around us that can impact our mindset and our results. The key is to recognize that no matter how long you have been business of selling the only way to keep producing is to make sure you are always “Doing the Dance”. By that I mean, continuing to do the things that successful people do & in your own personal case… continuing to do the things that have made you successful so far! Sometimes that’s not so easy as it sounds.
Here is your ACTION STEP… there is a truth that says, “The longer you are in the business and as you get older… you become less tolerant. The result is you are less inclined to keep “Doing the Dance”. It just seems harder to put up with some of the things that get in the way. Here is a list of some of the things you must be determined to do so that you are always “Doing the Dance”:
1. Have the tolerance to prequalify properly so that you are not working with “Time Vampires”. Don’t cut corners here.
2. Educate your Buyers on the things they need to know… the time you spend is well invested. Ultimately, it does speed up the process.
3. Set the expectation level up front with your Sellers. Help them understand current prices, current Buyer trends, your responsibilities, and their responsibilities to generate a profitable and speedy sale.
4. Accept the “tedium” of Daily Prospecting. It doesn’t go away and it never will. Being in Sales means you have to talk to people about business every day. Don’t be a Secret Agent.
5. Spend some time understanding Social Media. It doesn’t have to monopolize your time. There is significant value in using it to your benefit and taking advantage of some of the opportunities afforded us via changing technology.
6. Lastly, understand that changing government legislation and changing lending practices/interest rates is part of “Doing the Dance”. Like prospecting, it’s not going away.
There are no doubt many more things we could add to this list that require you to periodically “grit your teeth” and accept. The people that survive the longest in Sales Business are those that are capable of accepting change. As Charles Darwin said, “It is not the strongest or the most intelligent species that will survive… rather, the species that is most able to adapt to change”. Keep “Doing the Dance” every day that’s how you can be assured that you are always Dancing with the Stars! NO Excuses.