SWIMMING UPSTREAM?… There is an old joke that goes like this: A guy tells his psychiatrist, "I always have this weird dream at night. I am locked in a room with a door on which there is a sign. I try to push it with all my strength, but no matter how hard I try, it won't budge. The psychiatrist muses, "Interesting." But tell me what does the sign on the door say? The guy replies, "It says 'Pull"!!! Rather humorous and at the same time there is a great message here for Salespeople. Is it possible that you are "pushing" when it would be much more productive to "pull"?
Here is your ACTION STEP… there's always room for improvement. Even the best Salespeople need to step back and take a look at their approach periodically. Here's some examples of pushing instead of pulling:
1. Fighting the fact that Social Media is here to stay. The world is changing.
2. Conversely, spending too much time in front of the computer "getting ready to get going" and not doing your real job.
3. Expecting your Past Clients and Center of Influence to send you business without personally asking them to do so.
4. Working too long with "on the fence" prospects who never make a decision.
5. Thinking that you are talking to enough people every day about business even though your results never get better. Selling is still a "people business". Don't expect advertising, mail outs, and e-mails to replace personal contact.
Sometimes we confuse persistence with common sense. Check the sign on the door… are you pushing vs. pulling? Consider some of the above options. Do you need to revisit your current strategy? Take this 2 part acid test… Q. #1 Am I "swimming upstream"? Am I ignoring the obvious? & Q. #2 Have I forgotten my big picture goal?… Wasn't it to help people who need me so I can earn a living and reach my goals? Have a look at some of the things you are doing on a day-to-day basis. Changing your strategy doesn't mean you were wrong… it just might be that it is time to adjust your approach. NO Excuses