SOCIAL GOLD-MINING… some Salespeople are amazingly effective at networking. They have a knack for attracting business by prospecting their “people farm”. They appear to drum up business in a very effortless way… just by being visible. It seems so easy, many Salespeople have a secret desire to get all their business that way. The truth is this is a very highly defined skill. Here are the characteristics of a skilled “social networker”:
1. They know lots of people
2. They are very versatile. They work hard at fitting in with each of the four personality styles
3. They usually exhibit high energy and enthusiasm. They are “people magnets”
4. Very Important… they are always asking for business
(Special Note: One of my Coaches, Rita Persaud, is an expert at this. Let me know if you’d be interested in speaking to her/working with her. Contact me here: email@example.com)
Here is your ACTION STEP… this Sales Tip is designed to give you a list of ways to expand your “people farm”. The more people you know, the more people you connect with… the more opportunities you have to ask for business and help them out. Here are some ideas of where you could start:
1. Breakfast groups such as BNI
2. Church groups such as the Knights of Columbus
3. Neighborhood associations/gatherings
4. Service clubs such as Rotary and Kinsman
5. Local Chambers of Commerce
6. Service providers such as attorneys, lenders, accountants, etc.
7. Volunteer work in your community such as Habitat for Humanity, food banks, Yellow Brick House, Etc.
8. Amateur sports organizations
9. Local school organizations
10. Self-help groups such as mastermind groups, Landmark Forum, gymnasiums, gardening clubs, etc.
The key is to get involved. Pick one or two of these ideas and start to enjoy the associations they provide. You will meet some interesting people and create some great opportunities in doing so. Sales guru Bruce Etherington has written a superb book, it is simply called….“See the People”. Take his advice. NO Excuses.