"There are no new secrets in Business…rather Truths you have yet to apply". Bruce Keith
THE GUILT TRIP…everybody goes through periods of feeling guilty because "I just can't seem to get all the stuff done I wanted to". So then we start to beat ourselves up for what we perceive to be… underachievement. "I was supposed to go here, I was supposed to do this, I was supposed to talk to so-and-so, etc. etc. etc." We focus on what we didn't do… totally forgetting what we accomplished!
Here is your ACTION STEP… the Guilt Trip is a common affliction. Lots of times it is totally unjustified! Many times we are operating in Fantasyland… sometimes 3 people couldn't have accomplished all the things we had "on the list"… let alone one person! The Fantasyland approach comes from having unrealistic expectations. Here's a solution:
1. Make a list of the things you want to accomplish today. Your standard "To Do List".
2. Now take time to see how realistic your expectations are… "can I really do all that today?"
3. Shorten the list to What's Realistic?. What's really possible today?
4. Critical Point: do not add anything new to your list until the first list is completed.
5. Do not go on anymore "Guilt Trips". They are unhealthy!
There is nothing positive to be gained from going on a "Guilt Trip". It is a useless and destructive habit. Keep your expectations realistic and no more beating yourself up! NO Excuses.
If you enjoyed this Sales Tip, please pass it along. Thank you!