MARRIAGE OR DIVORCE?… when listing a property there are two ways to go. It can be a Happy Marriage or it can be a Painful Divorce. Let's look at the evolution of both options for your Listings.
The Evolution of the Divorce
1. The Courting Period. The prospecting, the lead follow-up, the listing presentation. Everyone is happy.
2. The Marriage Proposal. We ask them to "sign the listing" and they accept our proposal. Bliss!
3. The Honeymoon. The sign goes on the lawn, the lockbox goes on the door, we hold an Agent's Open House. Anticipation of a great life!
4. The Fights Start! Unrealistic expectations, poor communication, harsh words, resistance to reality.
5. Divorce Proceedings Begin. No one is happy, nasty accusations, splitting up the assets (they keep the house, you get your sign back!)
The Evolution of Marriage
1. The Courting Period. Same as above.
2. The Marriage Proposal. Same as above except we "set the expectations" right from the start.
3. The Honeymoon. Same as above.
4. A Happy Life Together (no fights!). We meet each other's expectations, good communication, adjustments are made as necessary.
5. Life Goes On (no divorce!). The house gets sold, they get their money, you get your money, they send you referrals!
So what is the difference between #1. The Divorce & #2. The Marriage? It all starts with creating "realistic expectations" as to how things are going to evolve. That way everyone can adjust on an ongoing basis to the "idiosyncrasies of life". As the Salesperson, it is up to you to ensure that there is a happy Marriage. Set realistic expectations, make sure everyone agrees, make sure everyone understands, communicate consistently and there will not be any divorces in your business. Be the "partner" they are looking for. NO Excuses.