ADDICTED TO APPROVAL…in a recent TV interview, it was revealed that Sarah Ferguson (ex-wife of England's Prince Andrew) is "addicted to approval/addicted to acceptance". She has proven rather unfortunately in the past that she will do anything to get approval. So much so that as Dr. Phil pointed out to her…"You will even put yourself in harm's way to get that all-important approval!". I am not suggesting to you that you necessarily suffer the same affliction…at least to that degree. But…I do see a lot of Salespeople who do some things that are certainly imprudent when it comes to building a successful Sales Career. Foolish things…all because they are trying to make their Customer really like them…going overboard to be accepted by that Customer.
Are you "Addicted to Approval"? How many of these are true for you?…Do you often WORK with CUSTOMERS WHO…
1. Are not motivated to buy in the reasonable future?
2. Are abusive and treat you with disrespect?
3. Expect to hear back from you 24 hours/day, regardless when they call?
4. Make unrealistic demands on your time and your capabilities?
5. Are unrealistic in their expectations of what they can buy for their budget?
6. Expect you to work for very little commission?
7. (this is a big one!) Don't make you feel very good about yourself?
If the answer is YES to some or any of these it is time to step up to it! You wouldn't hang around someone who has a communicable disease for long, would you? These Customers will infect your mind! The SOLUTION?…The first thing to do is to give yourself a big "hug" and say "NO MORE". Next would be to realize you deserve better. Then, after you eliminate those people from your life (fast)…start prospecting for good Customers. People who need you and respect you. They are definitely out there. Spot the signs within yourself of "needing constant approval" and move away from doing irrational things. Keep yourself "out of harm's way". NO Excuses.