"OKLAHOMA" WISDOM… in 1943 Rogers and Hammerstein introduced the amazing musical entitled "Oklahoma" to Broadway. It was a smash hit and initially ran for in excess of 2200 performances. One of the characters was a rather "free spirited" girl who sang a song with the line "I'm just a girl who cain't say no". In Sales, one of the most frequent contributors to the "scourge of poor time management" is the inability of Salespeople to SAY NO. Are you the same as that girl in Oklahoma? Do you sometimes have trouble saying no?
Here is your ACTION STEP…what are some of the things you need to say no to? How about starting with saying no to:
1. Going to bed too late
2. Not exercising enough and eating the wrong things
3. Working with unqualified prospects
4. Getting wrapped up in the drama in your office/others in your life
5. Forgetting your priorities… especially in the morning
6. Self-Sabotage and beating yourself up
7. Not planning to take time off
I am reminded of a great quote from famous playwright Moss Hart. He said, "All the mistakes I ever made were when I wanted to say NO and said YES". Give yourself the gift of setting yourself free… you do not have to please everyone. Start by pleasing yourself first. Both you and your most important customers will be the winners. NO Excuses.