MOVIE WISDOM… a movie entitled "Deception" was released recently. A suspense melodrama with an entertaining ending starring Hugh Jackman. Sometimes we receive great advice when we least expect it. In the movie script, Jackman's character delivered the following line… "He believed he would never scale that wall and the truth is, he was the only one guarding it!". It was one of those AHA moments where I had to put the movie on pause and "write that one down, Bruce". How many times do we "believe we can't scale that wall" when nothing is stopping us?
Here is your ACTION STEP… success in business, success in sales, and success in life is 90% predicated by what we believe. As Henry Ford said, "if you believe you can… or believe you can't… either way you are right". Here are some great ideas on how to develop strong belief in yourself:
1. Physiology is first… carry yourself with confidence and pride. This is critical.
2. Self-confidence is next…start by being your word for everything you commit to. Hold yourself accountable. Not doing what you say is not an option!
3. Focus on Action: identify the task and create small steps to achieve it. Minimize the thinking part. NIKE: "Just do it".
4. Surround yourself with people who support you. Tell them what you are about to do. They want you to succeed.
5. Expect "bumps in the road"… go over, under, or around them… never give up. Persevere ("be your word"). Mental Toughness is so important.
6. Celebrate every one of your victories, small and large… you do not need an excuse to feel good! Recognize that every victory is a HUGE step forward. Congratulations!
BONUS TIP: remember that great observation from author Chad Helmstetter… "fully 95% of our emotions (and therefore our beliefs) are controlled by how we talk to ourselves". Be a "guard dog" on the door of your mind. Your beliefs will allow you to achieve everything you ever wanted! NO Excuses.