FIND A ROCK FAST…! You may be familiar with the metaphor I use in my Seminars about the "Snakes in a Box". It is in reference to that big box we all have under our desks. As the story goes, the box is full of snakes and there is a heavy lid keeping them in the box. Needless to say the problem is that when the box gets opened…the snakes get out! (Picture that scene in The "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when Indiana Jones is in a huge pit full of snakes!!…UGH) Of course we then spend the rest of our day trying to put the snakes back in the box. This is stupid. The other day the metaphor was expanded in a most inventive way…
This is your ACTION STEP… great coaching client Serge Vaillancourt of Royal LePage in Sudbury send me this note when he was reporting his numbers for his daily prospecting: "Hey Bruce, I found a large rock today and put it on top of my box of snakes… now it will not open until I decide. I prospected today with much more ease". What a great idea! Thank youSerge. So here's 5 ideas for how you can "put a rock on top of your box of snakes":
1. Turn off your cell phone/Blackberry when it's time to start prospecting (careful here…"On Vibrate" is not OFF)
2. Put a "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door
3. Tell the front desk… absolutely no calls (unless it is a family emergency)
4. If you are prospecting at home… remove all temptations… no cheating!
5. DO NOT check your e-mails until you are done (turning off your computer will eliminate that temptation!)
Have you ever said, "I know what to do… I just gotta do it"? Go out today and find a big rock for your "box of snakes". As the famous quote goes… "Nothing in my business is so important that it can't wait until noon". NO Excuses.