THAT'S NOT FAIR…in the middle of Season # 10 for the highly successful television program, American Idol… something very unfair happened. One of the contestants was voted off the program much too early. Pia Toscano is a gorgeous 23 year old who is extremely talented and has a remarkable voice. So why did she get voted off the program? The theory is that because she was so far out in front of most of her competitors, people didn't feel she need the votes. Bottom line…IT WAS NOT FAIR. Life is like that, so is Sales. Sometimes things happen that are unfair, unexpected, and flat out ridiculous! Sometimes we lose to a competitor who we believe "has no right to even be competing with me!".
Here is your ACTION STEP… we all know that "No one ever said that life was supposed to be fair". It's an easy credo to accept until it happens to us! When it does, we have to have the Mental Toughness to deal with the unfairness and move forward. Here is your strategy:
1. Accept that many things will occur well outside of your control, "stuff happens"
2. Sometimes our customers may have hidden agendas that you know nothing about
3. Critical Point: make sure you have enough activity on your "conveyor belt" at all times to lessen the pain
4. Sometimes no matter what you do the sale does not go your way
5. "Life is not fair"… just put on your T-shirt emblazoned with the word "NEXT" and move on
If you saw Pia Toscano perform, you know that her pain will be short-term… she is an amazing talent and no doubt will be wildly successful. You are the same. Who knows why certain things happen to us that don't make sense? The real sense comes from how you handle it. Just say NEXT. You will win in the long run. That's all that matters. NO Excuses.