THE GLASS CEILING… there's lots of reference lately to the "glass ceiling". The metaphor refers reaching a certain level of achievement and then we get stuck. The "glass" part is about being able to see where you want to go and the "ceiling" part is about not being able to break through to the next level. The most common road-block is being stuck at a level where you are doing all the work including the administrative activities that someone else could be doing to support you. It is at this point that you must decide about "taking one step backwards in order to take two steps forward"… in other words: getting some help, ie: hiring an assistant.
Here is your ACTION STEP… some insights into hiring an assistant:
1. Plan ahead. Think about hiring an assistant before you need somebody…not after.
2. Must Do… create a simple "job description" (Hint: start with a list of the things you do not like to do).
3.Pay an hourly wage that is reasonable for your area ($10-$15 an hour is typical).
4. Start with part-time if you are concerned about the cost…eg: three hours a day/three days a week.
5. DO NOT hire a friend… it's tougher to be the boss that way.
6. Hold your employee accountable, short 15 minute daily reviews are advisable.
At some point you must get past the mentality that says "You don't understand…no one can do all these things as well as I can". You are probably right but in order to break through the "glass ceiling", you must learn to become a Master Delegator. Let it go. NO Excuses.