THE GUILT TRIP… everybody goes through periods of feeling guilty because "I just can't seem to get all the stuff done I wanted to". Then you start to beat yourself up for what you perceive to be underachievement. "I was supposed to go here, I was supposed to do this, I was supposed to talk to so-and-so, etc. etc. etc." You focus on what you didn't do… totally forgetting what you accomplished! Going on a Guilt Trip is not a wise journey to take. In my Sales Coaching business a day rarely goes by that I don't have to ask someone… "Why are you beating yourself up?" There is absolutely nothing to be accomplished from generating this negative energy. Nothing!
Here is your ACTION STEP… the Guilt Trip is a common affliction. Lots of times it is totally unjustified! Many times you are operating in Fantasyland…sometimes 3 people couldn't have accomplished all the things you had "on your list"… let alone one person! The Fantasyland approach comes from having unrealistic expectations. So what's the solution? Make sure that your expectations of yourself are realistic. Start with the following approach:
1. Make a list of the things you want to accomplish today. Your standard "To Do List".
2. Now take time to see how realistic your expectations are… "can I really do all that today?"
3. If not then shorten the list to What's Realistic?. What's really possible today? The top 3 is a good place to start.
4. Critical Point: do not add anything new to your list until the first list is completed.
5. Do not go on any more "Guilt Trips". They are unhealthy!
There is nothing positive to be gained from going on a "Guilt Trip". It is a useless and destructive habit. Keep your expectations realistic and no more beating yourself up! Tell that "travel agent" who is booking all those Guilt Trips for you that they are fired! You're never going to use them again.