GOLDILOCKS AND THE THREE BEARS…Did you ever notice how much wisdom is in those fairytales you read to your children? So much of what we learn from these fairytales connects to the realities of life.
Take Goldilocks and the Three Bears; There is great wisdom in this yarn that connects to the Skill of Closing. How so, you ask?
You’ll recall that when Goldilocks went upstairs in the three Bear’s house in the forest she became tired and decided to lie down and take a short nap. She found that…
1. The first bed was too hard
2. The second bed was too soft
3. The third bed was just right
Here is your ACTION STEP … find the close that is JUST RIGHT. The definition of “just right” follows a simple formula. The formula states that your Close must be “comfortable to deliver + at the same time induce the Prospect to say YES”. Everyone will have a different answer for what is “just right” for them. It is a very personal decision. Here are some ways to decide on your own “just right” definition…
MY PERFECT CLOSE
1. It must seem “natural”
2. It must flow as part of the conversation
3. You shouldn’t have to take a deep breath and say… “Gulp… here goes!”
4. Write out 4 – 5 alternatives and see how they feel (“Are you ready to go ahead? When should we get together? Any questions before we start the paperwork? This is the one isn’t it? Shall we sign the agreement? Do you want me to get to work for you? Let’s get started shall we? Do you want to see me tonight or would tomorrow be better?”)
5.You will need two sets of “just right for me” closes. One group for setting the appointment and the second group for getting the signature
6. YOU MUST DO THIS STEP. Internalize your top 2-3 closes both for the appointment and the signature (that’s a total of 4 – 6 closes). Write them in big letters on a piece of paper and stick them on the wall.
Practice this every chance you get… don’t fall into the trap of saying “this is a great idea, I’m going to do it” and then never change your approach. Post them on the wall. The more visible things are, the more likely you will not forget them!
Take on this exercise and most importantly, make sure you follow Step #6. Remember that piece of paper on the wall…even when you are in front of your Customers. Fairytales can come true! NO Excuses