ALL OF FAME WISDOM…former second baseman Roberto Alomar was voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. Being selected for the Baseball HOF is by far is the toughest one to achieve in professional athletics. Of the millions of kids who play baseball, of the thousands who do it professionally, of the hundreds who do it in the major leagues, only a very select few make it to Hall of Fame. When asked the inevitable "secret to your success?" question, Alomar responded very specifically and without hesitation. He said that it was one thing. He said "The best thing that ever happened to me was to play for manager Cito Gaston. What what Cito did was to be let me be myself". That was his "magic pill". It doesn't mean he didn't take direction…it does mean he was allowed to… "Be Myself".
Here is your ACTION STEP… I Have a Speaking Coach. The best advice I got from my Coach was the following… "Study other Speakers, learn what they do well, and then see if you should adapt those things to who you already are. Most of all don't try to be someone else… Be Yourself". Great Salespeople focus on who they are and present that image to their Customers. Some thoughts and questions as you consider this concept:
1. Do you have the courage and the self-confidence to "Be Yourself"?
2. Who are you? Write out a list of your strengths on a piece of paper. You already have numerous skills, write them down so you can focus on them.
3. Decide what is the best way to display those strengths and skills?
4. Do you work on your skills every day? Hall of Famers don't go to work every day until they practice.
5. Don't let periodic "errors on the playing field" deter you from "being yourself". Mistakes happen, that doesn't mean you should change who you are.
Be proud of who you are, what you have accomplished, and where you are headed. Too many Salespeople go through life questioning their every step. Have the courage of your convictions and don't try to be anybody other than yourself. You're just fine the way you are. Keep growing. NO Excuses.