MEETING YOUR STANDARDS… when you are out there looking for business, when you are sending out the right signals and asking the right questions on daily basis… there will always be Buyers who need you. You will find them. The challenge isn't finding prospects to work with… the challenge for strong Salespeople is a pleasant one: who will I choose to work with? There is a predictable cycle that all Salespeople go through:
1. You start by having no prospects at all.
2. You then lead generate and load up your "conveyor belt".
3. Your list of prospects starts to grow.
4. You now have to decide…who deserves to stay on your "conveyor belt"?
Here is your Action Step… there are some basic criteria that your Buyer must meet to qualify to work with you:
1. Ability to buy… are they a position financially to make the purchase?
2. Motivation… do they really want to go ahead?
3. Realistic Expectations… does what they are looking for really exist in the marketplace?
4. Timing… do they have a sense of urgency or are they "just looking"?
5. "Your Gut Feel"…be strong on this point. Are they pleasant to work with? Is there mutual respect?
Everyone you work with should pass the above 5 criteria. Now comes the tricky part… should you start off this way or lower your standards until you get busy? The best Salespeople have high standards right from the start. Let's face it… you don't go to the doctor after you get healthy! Only work with Buyers who meet your standards. If they don't, then do yourself a big favour. Cut them loose, spend time looking for someone who does meet those standards. Don't try and make a "square peg fit into a round hole". NO Excuses.