Your Customer’s Favourite Radio Station
THE #1 RADIO STATION… here is a ‘catchy’ approach to understanding how your Customers think. It goes like this… “Every Customer listens to one radio station… and only one station…they listen to WIFM all day long“. The acronym WIFM stands for, What’s in It for Me? As humorous as this concept is, it’s only human nature for everyone (including ourselves) to want to listen to this “radio station”. Your Customers only buy when they believe they are going to win. If they don’t believe they’re going to win, they don’t buy. Hence…WIFM.
Here is your ACTION STEP… successful Salespeople make sure that their message is played exclusively on WIFM. Here’s how you can make sure that will happen:
1. Find out your Customer’s ‘hot buttons’… “What’s the most important thing for you in this transaction? What do you really want to accomplish?“
2. Use a trial close once you have their answer… “I’m sure I can help you here. If we are able to meet those requirements, are you ready to go ahead and make this purchase/list your home with me?“
3. If the answer is NO, dig deeper... “What else would you need to help you go ahead?“
4. Experience shows that the “money factor” (cost, return on investment, “I want a great deal”, etc.) doesn’t always show up in their answers. Still, it’s often the driving factor.
Sometimes you have to dig even deeper.. Don’t be afraid to bring it up…”Where does money fit into this equation for you? How important are the finances here?” As you might expect, it’s usually high on their list – that’s just human nature.
5. Critical Point… focus your presentation on their requirements… pay special attention to their “body language” when you are presenting. Make sure they aren’t “changing radio stations” right before your very eyes! Stay on WIFM.
As long as you focus on what they want, you will get what you want. That way everybody wins. One last thought… it doesn’t hurt to ask them in the middle of your presentation, “How are you feeling about this so far?” or “Are you comfortable with where we are going here?“.
Make sure they’re still listening to WIFM and the competition will never have a chance to “play their music”. Make sure your radio station is the only one they are listening to. NO Excuses.