YOUR "BUSINESS TEMPERATURE"…lots of times we get asked the generic question…"How's business?". Typically we give an equally generic answer… "Everything is great, things are good, etc. etc". Most of the time this actually answers the question we were asked. They didn't really want to know specific details, they just wanted to get an idea of how things were going. On the other hand, if the question was different… if we were asked, "EXACTLY how is your business going?"… we should be in a position to answer that question too.
Here is your ACTION STEP… the best Salespeople are also the best Businesspeople. We need to know our "Business Temperature" at all times. Here is a technique that makes it very simple.
1. Every month end set aside 30 minutes to take your "Business Temperature" (put it in your calendar)
2. Look at the targets you have set for that 30 day period
3. Write down your actual results achieved
4. Evaluate your results in two ways (1. Satisfactory production? 2. Satisfactory effort?)
5. Write out your new targets for the next month and POST THEM ON THE WALL
6. Start measuring your results every week and regularly update your CHART ON THE WALL
We need to be very conscious of how we are doing in our business at all times. The "Ostrich Approach" (head in the sand) can be very expensive and usually leads to disappointment. Make sure there are no surprises in your business. Take your "Business Temperature" frequently. NO Excuses