IDOL WISDOM… in the 10th season of American Idol the producers brought in a permanent Coach for the contestants. They hired aclaimed music executive and record producer Jimmy Iovine (Chairman Interscope Geffen A&M Records). What he does is help them Improve on their Presentations. Jimmy is very good at this… he offers amazing guidance and his critiques are excellent. Recently he casually offered some brilliant logic. Iovine said:
1. “When you are unsure of yourself, you lose confidence”
2. “When you lose confidence, everyone knows it!”
This “flash of insight” certainly applies to real life. We see both sides of that coin in many of the people we encounter on a day-to-day basis. It shows up in eye contact, lack of persistence, strength of a handshake, nervous habits, etc.
Here is your ACTION STEP… all great Salespeople are Sure of Themselves. Your Customers are expecting this! Here are some great ways to position yourself powerfully for your Presentations:
1. Start by looking good and feeling good… dress sharp, give off lots of great energy.
2. Make sure that you have a structured Presentation. Have a plan for how you are going to perform.
3. Know exactly what you’re going to say. This starts with a script.
4. Practice your delivery before you present… this builds confidence.
5. Show them exactly how you are going to help them get what they want.
Follow the above formula. Look at the logical progression in Jimmy Iovine’s wisdom… “when you are sure of yourself, you are confident… when you are confident everyone knows it! When everyone knows it, they will buy what you are offering”. Be prepared, be the professional, be the Winner you know you can be. NO Excuses.