YOUR GLASS CEILING… the 2012 Paralympics were held in London England following the Summer Olympics in the same marvelous location. It involved 4296 amazing athletes from 164 different countries! The opening ceremony was both spectacular and highly emotional. Hundreds of volunteers were on the playing field in the London Olympic Stadium and they put on a truly spectacular show.
The lighting and the pyrotechnics kept all viewers transfixed. Truly amazing! Part of the proceedings revolved around a delightfully charming 10-year-old girl who walks with a limp and uses a cane. Her name is Miranda. The performance told a beautiful story of Miranda embarking on a fairy tale trip which portrayed her traveling to a fantasyland. At the climax of her voyage, she was raised by seemingly invisible wires to 150 feet above the stadium floor. At that point, Miranda used her walking cane to “break through her glass ceiling”. She went on to another world, on to a new and better life. Sounds of glass shattering echoed through the 80,000 seat arena. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house! Highly symbolic and certainly very moving.
The term “glass ceiling” is very topical these days. It creates an easily identifiable visual for everyone… including Salespeople. The concept of a glass ceiling is described as a barrier that prevents someone from breaking through to the next level. You can see where you want to go but something is stopping you from getting there. Salespeople encounter such barriers every day.
Here is your ACTION STEP…in Sales there are lots of glass ceilings that get in the way. Here’s some examples plus ideas of how to break through… just like Miranda did so high above the London Olympic Stadium floor on August 31, 2012:
GLASS CEILINGS in SALES & SOLUTIONS
1. The Fear of Rejection… as simple as it sounds, the best way to deal with rejection is to “get lots of it”. You really have to build up your “rejection muscle”. Even the best Salespeople get rejected every day, they’re just more used to it.
2. Lack of Consistency… this is the result of a lack of routine. By doing the same things every day you will create the all-powerful habits that are so necessary to overcoming this issue. Start by developing one new habit that you will do every morning to reinforce your routine. Make it something that you decide will be “Not Optional”. Eg: get up @ 6:00 AM.
3. Not Knowing What to Say… the solution here comes in two parts: #1. Get the right words on paper & #2. Make them your own by practicing over and over. Click here for one solution.
4. Your Sales Presentation… it is critical that you present yourself to your customers in a way that points out “I am different”. They need to see the benefits you bring to the table… this is what I call your “Secret Sauce”. Have a look at the package you present, is it compelling? Do you present yourself in an enthusiastic and benefit-oriented fashion?
5. Confidence Level… this one is HUGE! 90% of all sales success goes right back to your mindset and your attitude. Are you “re-filling your tank” every day? What are you reading, what are you listening to, who are you associating with?… and sometimes more importantly, what negativity are you avoiding? Pay special attention to this point. All winners are mentally tough.
All Salespeople are on an ongoing voyage. Just like Miranda, you need to be continually breaking through the barriers that are holding you back. There will always be something new that you need to overcome. This is the exciting part of being in Sales! It is the growth that you continually add to your life that inspires you… that presents you in a new and enlightened package to your Customers. When you are excited, they get excited! Embrace this concept and always be looking for ways to improve on who you are being. Do what Miranda did… Breakthrough your glass ceiling and let nothing stand in your way. NO Excuses.