THE SPEED BUMP… while driving through a peaceful neighbourhood recently I was confronted with a series of unavoidable "speed bumps". As I was in a hurry, I found them rather irritating. At that point I had to reflect on why they were there… they had a purpose. Speed Bumps are designed to slow us down when we are not paying attention! Sometimes we're so busy "going fast" we miss the point.
Here is your ACTION STEP…aren't there times when we should introduce some "mental speed bumps" in our day to day approach to selling? Here are some examples of when we should introduce "mental speed bumps" to help us be more effective before we get in front of the Client. Take the extra time to:
1. Prepare thoroughly for an important client presentation. Don't just rush out the door all out of breath!
2. Rehearse a particular objection handler you are anticipating receiving.
3. When you're not sure about something…ask for advice. EGO be gone!
4. Get everything ready for tomorrow… your prospecting, your 'to-do' list, even your wardrobe. "My day begins the night before."
5. Track your numbers once a week. Stop guessing where you are.
Bonus Tip: make sure you also take the time to add this very important "mental speed bump"… appreciate how good you really are getting at the Selling Game. Pat yourself on the back. You really are growing! NO Excuses.