GETTING THE RIGHT ASSISTANT… as your business grows, it is critical that you get some support to do the administrative tasks that are not directly “revenue producing”. Many Salespeople fail to recognize that critical point when they have hit the Glass Ceiling in their production. It immediately shows up as no increase in sales, just an increase in frustration. “Letting Go” is part of growing. Once you have accepted that that it is time to let go of some of your activities then it is time to add an Assistant to help you move to the next level. It could be part-time or a full-time. The main thing is to not be stuck in a rut.
Here is your ACTION STEP… once you have decided to expand, the next question is… “What are the qualities I am looking for in my Assistant?”. Here are some basic criteria to get you started:
1. Computer Skills-be sure they are knowledgeable and very able to perform your applications
2. Industry/Product Knowledge-much better so they can “hit the ground running”
3. Self-Directed-a great Assistant can operate on their own, must be motivated
4. Telephone Skills-this goes without saying
5. Work Ethic-punctuality and low absenteeism, they know how to work
In looking at this list, there are two “must haves”. They are… #1 and #5. Do not compromise on either of these points. These are not a negotiable items when selecting the “right” person. Last point: after you hire someone, make sure that you have a written Job Description to give them before they start. NO Excuses.