GETTING THERE…in the Sales Business it is easy to get wrapped up in “stuff” while the main goal gets lost in the shuffle. Consider if you were the quarterback for a football team and you were trotting out on the field with your teammates and it was the first down. Here’s what you would be thinking:
1. My main job is to get the ball over the goal line which is currently 60 yards away.
2. I can see the goal line from here and I know there is going to be some opposition but it can be done.
3. In order for me to get there I have to maintain control of what we are doing and move the ball forward 10 yards at a time.
4. The best part is, I don’t have to do it all at once!… I can move towards the goal line gradually.
5. For now, all I have to decide is the following:… what play am I going to call next? Do we run the ball “off tackle” or do we do an “end around” or do I “throw a pass”?
6. For now, all I have to do is the following two things:
a) keep the goal line in sight
b) keep moving the ball forward, one play at a time
Here’s your ACTION STEP… the Business of Selling is exactly the same as the process described above. Here is how it plays out:
1. Decide on your ultimate goal for the balance of this year.
2. Post this goal on the wall and keep it in sight at all times.
3. Keep moving the ball forward.
4. You don’t have to get to the goal line in one play… be patient and keep doing the right things over and over. You will get there!
5. Critical Point… you don’t have to know what play you are going to call every step of the way. You just need to know what play you’re going to call next.
Have faith in your ability to get to the goal line. Things will become clear as you move down the field, don’t expect to have all the answers before you get started. You don’t need that right now.
The quarterbacks who fail are the ones that try and throw the “long bomb” and hope for the best. They want everything to fall into place without doing the hard work. Make sure you are one of those quarterbacks who follows the process to the goal line by marching down the field slowly but surely… doing all the right things over and over. This way you will score every time. NO Excuses.