Here are 10 proven strategies, to increase your home selling results with your buyers and sellers. All of these approaches have been very effective for my Real Estate Coaching Clients. Scan through these and pick a couple of ideas you can start with. They all work incredibly well….
Tip #1. Tie Yourself to the Mast
In Greek mythology, Homer tells of a sea voyage in his classic, “The Odyssey“. It describes an ocean voyage where their ship would be passing close by a treacherous island occupied by the Sirens. The Sirens were dangerous creatures disguised as beautiful women who lured sailors to their death. The sound of their voices was hypnotic. They seduced travellers into bringing their ships close to shore only to crash on the rocks and perish.
In The Odyssey, the ship’s captain Ulysses instructed his men to “Put wax in your ears and tie me to the mast. Let us not be tricked into getting off course. We must stay on the path that takes us to our final destination.” Good sailors, they follow his instructions to the letter. It worked and they passed by the island, unaffected by the sirens.
Do the Sirens ever call you? Do you ever get “seduced into going too close to shore, only to crash on the rocks and perish”? Being tempted is a natural part of everyone’s day.
Selling homes, handling objections, lead generating, listing property, etc., etc., etc. creates a very diverse number of activities. To get everything done requires a great level of focus. You can’t afford to get thrown off track. What are some things you can do to “tie yourself to the mast”?
Solution: Some ideas to help you protect yourself…
1. . Put your wake-up alarm across the room so you have to get up to turn it off. No more snooze button!
2. Set an appointment for your daily prospecting in your daytimer or your smartphone. Now that time is NOT available for anything else.
3. Put a Do Not Disturb Sign on your office door to protect you from the “Sirens” in your office. You already know who they are!
4. Turn off your smartphone when prospecting (not on vibrate). Protect yourself from distraction. You should also turn off your e-mail for that period of time.
5. Should you eat healthier? Get rid of all the junk food you might have collected. You need to your energy at its best to deal with all the Sirens that show up during the day. Also… one final reminder — No food after 8 PM at night… eating later is unhealthy.
Conclusion: You probably have your own list of things you should do to “tie yourself to the mast”. The key is to ELIMINATE THE OPTIONS. Make it impossible to fail. NO Excuses.
Tip #2. A Simple Question about the Future
When endeavouring to set a showing or listing appointment with a home Buyer or Seller, do you ever get this response that leaves you a bit in the dark…?
“I have to check with my spouse first”…
This objection can be a stumbling block because it really does put a hold on moving forward, doesn’t it? Here’s a great technique… your response will help you look into the future. Have a look at this approach, it’s a great way to ensure that there are no surprises down the road…
“No problem, Mr. Seller… just so I understand, what do you think Mrs. Jones would say if we were to ask her right now? What would her thoughts be? Do you think she would want to go ahead and set the appointment?”
Conclusion: This close not only reveals the future, It also allows you to set a tentative appointment depending on their answer. Find out what they’re thinking – use it next time you have an opportunity. It works great. NO Excuses.
The above “answer” is another excerpt from our “All the Right Words” Scripts and Dialogues Package.
Tip #3. Customer Events That Work
Recently I attended an inspiring seminar hosted by the Toronto chapter of an international organization called “EO – the Entrepreneurs Organization”. Like-minded people working on expanding and growing their businesses exponentially. The energy in the room was great and the presenters were even better!
One of the topics of conversation focused on how to build great customer loyalty by providing services and benefits that stand out from the competition. How to take your database of past clients and centres of influence and build a solid foundation of repeat and referral business?
Customer Events turned out to be one of the most popular recommendations. It’s a very effective way for you to generate future business outside of the standard “when are you moving next?” question.
To make this work effectively, the events you offer need to stand out so that they create a buzz and generate conversation. Something different that will get people talking so that those who don’t know you will want to find out more.
Here’s some examples of “different”:
Host an evening with an Artist Showcase. “Join me and a few friends for an evening of the Boogie Woogie Piano Styling of Susan Smith.”
I’m placing a dumpster in your neighbourhood in April (or September, etc.) to help with your Spring/Fall Cleaning. (Dumpster has sign with agent’s pic and “Have a great Spring/Fall Clean-up, courtesy of Sue Smith at ABC Real Estate”)
Join me next Saturday for a test drive of the sleek, new Tesla. I only have 50 openings, so RSVP as soon as you can.
Host an Easter egg hunt in your farm area real estate farm area for all families and their children.
Join me for a private cooking demonstration from the most popular chef at that chic New Restaurant in town.
PS…the most popular item has proven to be the second above (the dumpster). Costs about $1000 and provides you with lots of visibility for 30 days.
Conclusion: Think about what you can do that is different. Something that is fun and creates a buzz around who you are and what you bring to the table.. One thing for sure, an exciting event will pump you up just as much as it will your valued clients. This can really be a fun exercise for all concerned!
One final piece of advice here, you can increase the attendance to your special event by inviting your personal database to “bring a friend”. By doing so you will meet new people and build your database effortlessly. NO Excuses.
Tip #4. Doing What They Can’t Do
Have you ever noticed that as you climb the ladder of success, as you start selling more homes, 2 predictable things take place…
i) First of all, your confidence will increase and you will make more money. This is good!
ii) Secondly there will be people out there criticizing you and passing an opinion on you in every way imaginable. They will also start telling you what you can’t do.
They will start saying things like… “I tried using scripts and dialogues and that just doesn’t work, it doesn’t sound like me.” Or “You can’t lead generate by calling people you don’t know, they’ve already got an agent”.
Let’s look closer at this second predictability. Here’s a fun way to look at it…
“When someone tells you what you can’t do, they’re merely telling you what THEY can’t do… NOT what you can’t do!”
As you continue on your journey to inevitably better real estate sales results… a more powerful way to look at things would be to:
- Size up the next task in front of you. What’s next on your list?
- Ask yourself, “Has anyone else done this before me, am I the first?”
- If the answer is yes, then it’s clear that nothing is stopping you from doing it too! Forget about those naysayers.
Conclusion: So what’s next on your list? “What’s the next thing that others are telling me that I can’t do”? (Or for that matter, that you are telling yourself you can’t do?!!!) Just pick one item that is holding you back and get on with it (call that FSBO, redo your listing presentation, ask everyone you meet for referrals, etc.).
Set a time limit that says “Within the next week I’m going to…”. Why not?, it’s better than standing still. No time for that! That’s what the others who are constantly passing judgment on you are doing as you move past them. Just say NEXT and move on. While others are telling you what you can do, you are already on to the next challenge. Do the things that most others can’t do. NO Excuses.
Tip #5. Sales Tips from Steve Jobs
Here are 5 great Sales Tips from Steve Jobs that I know you will enjoy:
1. Do not compete on price – compete on value. Show your home buyers and sellers the extras that you bring to the table.
2. People do not know what they want until you show it to them (Steve was a master at introducing new ideas that everybody decided they needed). Example: tell your buyers that you will door knock a particular neighbourhood looking for homes that are not already listed.
3. Create a great presentation – it’s what sets you apart. Check out our “Plug & Play LP” Listing Presentation Package.
4. Create a Buying Experience for your prospect – make it memorable before AND after the sale. Have a solid follow-up system in place, make it automatic and include personal contact.
5. Do not fear failure. Steve made lots of mistakes and prospered because of them. Is the fastest way to learn. Have a look at Walter Isaacson’s great book simply entitled: “Steve Jobs”. It’s a great read.
Conclusion: Each one of these could be a one-hour Seminar. When you think about them on an individual basis there is a wealth of wisdom in each tip.
Look at #1 for starters. I know you pay special attention to this one already. Here’s the hard truth…People that can’t sell cut the price. People that can sell earn more than the competition. They show why what they do is so it is important and then go out and earn that money. Be confident – you have great value to offer. The key in selling is to make sure your customers understand that. NO Excuses
Tip #6. Magic Seller Questions
It’s not uncommon for a home seller to have trouble choosing who to pick to list their property. The dilemma you are presented with is that you are making lots of contacts, you’re asking all the right questions, you are making a strong listing presentation, and your prospect still seems to be hesitant about choosing you as their real estate Salesperson of choice. It’s important to get to the heart of their indecision.
Critical Point: usually there is a financial component behind this indecision. It’s almost always about money. You need to get them “off the fence”.
Here is my list of killer questions to get them from maybe to yes…
1. Mr./Mrs. Seller… how will you decide who you’re going to pick? (Note: in this case it’s not uncommon to get some “smoke and mirrors” answer. You need to go now to question #2 in order to get to the real issue)
2. I’m curious, where does money fit into all of this? How important is the bottom line?
3. Just so I understand, what’s more important to you here…the amount of commission % you pay or the eventual dollars in your pocket? (Dig here…it’s always the second item)
4. That’s good news Mr./Mrs. Seller because this is where we really shine… let me show you why. (Pull out your Marketing Plan and show them exactly what you do to get them more money than the competition…ie: internet, prospecting, staging, etc. Make sure they understand that your “advanced marketing techniques” are designed to drive the most traffic and subsequently negotiate the best offers on their behalf)
Conclusion: be sure to ask these questions in order. They are part of our “All The Right Words” Scripts and Dialogues Package. Make sure they answer each one before you go to the next one.
There is a logical progression here and it really opens the door to allowing you to position yourself as the best choice. This approach really works. Why? Because what you’re going to show them is going to generate the most money in their pocket after all is said and done…and THAT’S what they really want. NO Excuses
Tip #7. Trying to Do It on Your Own?
While watching an NHL hockey game earlier this year, announcer Jim Hughson made an interesting observation. He said…
“There is no such thing as an unassisted goal”. One of those –“Hmmmmmm… very interesting” statement.
When you think about what he said, it’s really very true. The obvious initial conclusion is that you can’t do it on your own. But then there’s the “back story”. Who are you relying on to help you along the way? Here’s some questions to get you thinking even more:
Q #1. What people around you are you sourcing for support? There’s lots of people in your personal and business life who can provide added value… draw on them periodically.
Q #2. Are you reading/listening to new material every day while you are in the car or just before you go to sleep every night? As an alternative, how about reviewing inspirational material for 15 minutes at the start of every day?
Q #3. Who are you helping or mentoring? The teacher always “learns more than the student”. A good place to start is role-playing every week.
Q #4. Have you hired a Real Estate Coach? As the expression goes, “If you could do it on your own, you would have done it already”. Afraid of the cost?… You should expect a minimum of a 5 times return on your money for your Coaching fees. (Example: for every $1000 you spend, you should realize a $5000 return) This result is very doable.
Here’s my take… everyone is capable of producing more home sales – “A great Coach is someone who will not let you settle for what you think is your best”.
Conclusion: Give some thought to these ideas… there is so much fabulous material available. There is never an excuse for not growing. This is what will keep you young, vibrant and inspired! AND… you will make a lot more money! NO Excuses.
Tip #8. One-A-day
Want some guaranteed money in the bank? Here’s a no risk formula to follow… “Add one new name every day to your database.” I’m talking about people you can follow up with in the future for home sale buyer or seller referrals (or even direct business) in the months to come.
Two questions come from this recommendation… Where do I find them? & What do I say?
WHERE? In your day-to-day prospecting there are bound to be one or two individuals with whom you “hit it off”. It doesn’t mean that they are moving, it just means that you have a nice pleasant conversation. Add them to your list – you never know where your next referral will come from.
WHAT TO SAY? Here’s the closing line that I used hundreds of times. Very effective and very conversational…
“It’s been great speaking with you Mr./Mrs. Prospect… it’s obvious to me that you really enjoy living there. Just so you know, periodically I send out information on the area to keep people up-to-date on how their investment is doing… meaning your home.
I don’t mind adding you to the group of people I keep informed… I’d be glad to do that for you – what’s the best e-mail address for me to use?”
Conclusion: there is one more question to consider… WHY do I want to build up my list?
Simply put, by staying in touch with this group of people on an ongoing basis you will build the all-important relationships that generate an incredible number of referrals. The first part is to build the list, the second part is to stay in touch – every 90 days is the best approach. NO EXCUSES.
Tip #9. Fighting Fear
“The Voice” is a very popular television talent show that runs in the late winter/early spring each year on NBC. It is based around the progressive elimination of singing contestants who are Coached by some very qualified performers and music producers.
The contestant’s growth is what dictates how far they go in the program. Typically the most Coachable talents are the ones that survive the longest.
One of the current Coaches is Grammy-winning performer and producer Pharrell Williams. He has a very quiet and confident manner about him – he certainly seems wise beyond his years. On a recent show Pharrell was confronting one of the contestants who was clearly intimidated by the challenges ahead of her. She was afraid of performing in front of large audiences. Here’s what he asked her…
Pharrell: Has being scared and afraid ever helped you in any situation before? Has it ever resulted in anything positive for you?
Pharrell: : Then why would you bring it into this situation now? Why would you let it have any power over you?
Pretty good logic, don’t you think? Giving into your fears offers nothing to gain and lots to lose. The next time you feel intimidated or fearful about moving forward (closing for the signature, challenging a Home Buyer who wants to put in a lowball offer, introducing a new objection handler to help your Home Seller, etc.) think of the wisdom that Pharrell offered…”It’s never served you well before, why would you succumb to it now?”
Conclusion: When that fear shows up, that’s where you step up, take a deep breath and move forward.
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by being courageous and doing the right thing. Face your fears and do it anyway. NO EXCUSES.
Tip #10. Zero Growing Pains
The whole concept of adding an Assistant, a Home Buyer Specialist, a Transaction Coordinator, etc. is to leverage yourself to higher levels of production. The key word here is LEVERAGE.
When you have other people doing many of the things you used to do, you are now free to do more of what you’re best at (i.e. lead generating and selling). You are leveraging yourself and multiplying your overall production.
The question then becomes, when do I do this? When do I start adding people so I can leverage myself? A couple of simple guidelines to help you move forward:
1. Once you are averaging 2 – 3 home sales per month, you should consider adding an Assistant, even if it is just part-time at the beginning.
2. . If you are generating Home Buyer leads that cut into your time for listing property, then you need to start referring them out on a 25% basis initially. Only for a short time however, the ultimate goal within 90 days is to take on a Buyer specialist at 50-50.
3. CRITICAL POINT… don’t hire “to put out a fire”. The key is to always hire ahead of your growth. This takes some courage but it is by far the wisest move for any entrepreneur who wants to build their business. Not “hiring ahead” results in 2 mistakes.
a) You grab the first person who comes along because you’re desperate
b) You lose major business opportunities because you’re always behind the curve.
Conclusion: Are there risks here? Absolutely but if you are consistent in your production and you are sticking to a regular daily routine there is very little risk. Loading up your conveyor belt with new leads and opportunities every day solves a lot of problems.
There is a much greater risk is in stepping aside and hoping things will get better by themselves. Being an entrepreneur is not for the faint of heart – but waiting for “just the right moment” is absolutely the wrong approach. Both are risky – take the one that moves you forward faster. NO EXCUSES.
Book Recommendation: “The Entrepreneur Roller Coaster” Darren Hardy
SUMMARY… if you want to grow even more, here are 3 quick suggestions for you to check out:
- The “Real Estate Insiders Club” Membership Program – 2 LIVE Group Sessions every week (8 hours per month). Up your game with completely new material every week… only $49 per month.
- “All the Right Words” Real Estate Scripts and Dialogues Package – 286+ recordings plus printed text for prospecting, objection handling, and closing. $199 downloadable/$299 on CDs + five separate script booklets.
- One-On-One Real Estate Sales Coaching – a proven track record, over 30,000 Coaching calls/over 15+ years. Check it out here and call me for a free personalized session. That way we’ll both know if there is a fit.
Leave a comment below. Which of these 10 great ideas will you tackle first?